Wednesday, October 04, 2006

On the needles

Some work in progress.

Another couple of hats for the British & International Sailor's Society. Reckon I should get my hats parcelled off soon, seeing as the weather has turned a bit nippy.

The grey one is a plain double knit, the tweedy one is aran-weight in a cable and rib pattern.




...........................

Seeing as it's October now, thoughts are turning towards creating for Christmas. (I know, the 'c' word, sorry)

I've lots of ideas - I just need to plan my time carefully. In the summer I took some Rowan Kidsilk Haze along when I visited my Mum - a veritable doyene of the crochet hook. I am a crochet virgin, but the lure of Chantel, from Rowan's book Vintage Stylehad me stashing KSH and reaching for my hook.



After some motherly tuition I was off and hooking, and Mum was eyeing the pattern and the colours with a glint of longing in her eye. I'm reckoning on having enough yarn to complete two, so one will be her Christmas gift.

For my sister, I'm planning on making a felted handbag from Gillian Harris's new book Complete Feltmakingwhen Amazon deliver my copy.

I did a feltmaking day-course with Gill a couple of years ago. A very satisfying day's work. Everyone went away with a lovely item. I made a shoulder bag, must take some photos and let you have a look.

See Gill's Website for info. I really recommend it, she makes some beautiful stuff, and she has a lovely eclectic terraced home in Surrey, with a conservatory workroom looking out onto the garden. Envious, moi?

Here is one of her designs to give you a flavour of her own style.

No comments: