Thursday, June 07, 2007

Jane Austen's House - Chawton

Nestled in between some fast moving dual carriageways, I found the chocolate-box picturesque village of Chawton.

Imagine the villages in Midsomer Murders and you've got the look of this place.

Jane's house:




How it used to look as Estate Workers' cottages in the 1920's:



Today:



Inside the charming Georgian style building with creaky polished wood floors, many of Jane's treasures donated by her descendants are on display.



Her writing table:



Costumes from the film Becoming Jane starring Anne Hathaway, Julie Walters and Maggie Smith were on display:







Some other views of the house:







I can just imagine Mr Darcy riding down this hill on an afternoon visit:




My one purchase in the gift shop was an apron, which I'll use to protect my clothes from fluff whilst spinning.



.

2 comments:

cyndy said...

I've really enjoyed seeing all the photos of your recent adventures!
Thanks for posting about the mills!
Very interesting reading!

Linda said...

What a great post, the house looks so nice and I do like the dresses!