Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Debbie Bliss - Pure Silk

I spotted this shimmering in John Lewis several weeks back and had to grab a few skeins. It really is as soft as butter and luxurious.

The lady at the till asked me what I was going to make with so few skeins, so she obviously hadn't seen the Pure Silk pattern book which has a skinny scarf for those of us who daren't buy enough for a garment.



I've finished the Aqua (Shade 07) which needs blocking. The Coral (Shade 12) needs winding from the skein, and I'll find a different lace repeat to do for that one. They should be nice with summer shades. Here's one ball on my nostepinne.



You can wind a centre-pull ball using one of these, so your yarn doesn't hurtle around the room when you're knitting. I bought mine from Laura and Peter at Twist Fibre Craft it's listed under Spinning Accessories.

................................................................

Yesterday the postman brought me my latest spinning related book, it's Spinning Designer Yarns by Diane Varney. There are a few colour plates, but it's mostly reading, so I'll have to concentrate on that when I feel a little more compos mentis. Plenty of info about plying and dyeing yarn at first glance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,

how does the silk behave? From my experience, a scarf is a far better option to knit from silk than a sweater. I did once a sweater in a wool silk blend. In the end (after a couple of months) it was even to big at the end of my pregnancy. Can you imagine how much it stretched/widened in all directions?

Fleece said...

Hi Sabine,

The silk shows the stitch detail really well, but looks like it would go a little fuzzy on the surface with wear. I've only used recycled silk other than this, so I don't have any experience with a whole knitted silk garment.