Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Woolfest 2006

It was a bright and sunny day as I wended my way from Standish up the M6 and then through the dramatic scenery of Kendal, Windermere, Ambleside and Keswick to my destination in Cockermouth.

A long line of wool-worshippers was already forming outside the venue pre the 10:00 opening.



Once inside I took in the scene - it was like the Knitting & Stitching Show in miniature and held in a cattle pen. Despite the gently pervading odour of animals, it all looked very much like I thought it would.





Here are snaps of a display of some Lithuanian woolcrafts with some very beautiful beaded knitting in progress.




I saw some beautiful felted work around, but I know some artists don't like people taking photos of their work at shows, so I played safe and resisted.

However the lovely sheep breeds, alpacas and goats were very accommodating as we all snapped away. There were also angora rabbits, but no space to take photos.





Some of the well known retailers were there, Wingham Woolwork, PM Woolcraft, Haldanes, and a lot of smaller businesses. Wood turning, basket making, yarn, prepared fibres of all sorts, wheels, looms, whole fleeces, books and felt. Stands of organisations - with the Wool Marketing Board, Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers amongst them.

I stayed all day, (with a quick run into Cockermouth to get some cash as not many stallholders were taking cards). There was a traditional band playing music, a cafe and a sheeps milk ice cream seller, plenty of chairs to sit down and take a break. Plus the usual queue for the ladies loo!

At 15:10 the building sank into the gloom and the heavens opened, rain sounding like a drumroll on the corrugated roof. I don't think it dampened anyone's enthusiasm. I could have spent a fortune - increasing my yarn and fibre stash to mammoth proportions, but I reigned myself in and was quite good. :halo:

No comments: