Thursday, September 13, 2007

More Dyeing

On Saturday at my spinning group we had another dyeing day, this time using Indigo and Goldenrod.

The Goldenrod was split into a dye bath of flowers, and a dye bath of leaves and stalks. The indigo was very strong at the first attempt, but then we got dipping and watched the green-to-blue colour-change happen as it hit the oxygen in the air.

Some folk did some over-dyeing on previous skeins that hadn't turned out as expected or liked, and they mostly got greens. Here are some drying outside on the fence:



I dipped some spun merino and some tops into the Indigo, and added some laceweight shetland to each of the Goldenrod pots.


Sue A. from the group brought her husband along in the afternoon - weighed down by a sack of this season's fleeces. As they're moving house, she 'wasn't allowed' to keep them all, so we had a free fall all - 'ooohing' and 'aaahing' and having a good rummage. I chose a grey/brown cream-tipped fleece - of indeterminate breed - to the cries of 'NO WILLPOWER!!'. This will join the two white Poll Dorset shearling fleeces that I already have stashed at home (not to mention the Moorit Shetland in the loft!)

Something tells me I'm going to have to get to work on fleece prep this winter in a serious way. Where are those carders....................?

.................................................................

My knitting has slowed up a little recently, but this is probably because I have any number of projects on the go at once. I've recently started a very simple baby cardigan for a work colleague:


and have made a hat from my own handspun mystery wool plied with a variegated silk cap:


This looks a bit like a turquoise dumpling, but with the lack of anyone to model it - I had to stuff it with roving to get some sort of head shape.

.................................................................

I'm slowly getting my plans together for the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace in October. I've bought my bargain basement coach ticket already, and have attempted to book a class and buy my show tickets, but the website is i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-y s-l-o-w. I've got to the payment stage twice now and the whole thing has crashed. At this rate there'll be no courses left to book onto....

.

No comments: